Re: Those pesky light bulbs

Here's a hint folks: Avista is lying. I have a UPS (APC Back-UPS PRO 420)
on my machine in my office. I log (only for a few days) the low voltage
events. I get dozens of sub-117v sags a day. This isn't enough to trip the
UPS into alarm mode but it does happen ALL THE TIME.

<soapbox>
Anyone who has a computer (I don't care what kind, cheap, expensive) needs
to buy a UPS correctly sized for the setup they run. I have computers that
have lasted many years on UPS without component failure. That, and most UPS
companies (APC, TripLite) give you an insurance policy with your UPS.
</soapbox>

I'm only excitable about this because before I had a UPS for every computer
I'd lose them all the time to hard drive crashes and weird failures. After
I got UPS religion, the only thing that kills my computers is my shotgun.
(Got sick of 4 486's once, took them out and blasted them. VERY therapeutic)

--
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will
look upon the Act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest."

Back to TOC