Re: Those pesky light bulbs

Ellen Roskovich:

Vera White did get somebody from Avista to say that the company was in no
way at fault. Data on average voltage supplied and deviations from the
average were not forthcoming, though that would seem relevant.

Simple logic rules out bad wiring (bad wiring would reduce the voltage and
lead to the bulbs lasting longer) and leaving the lights burning
constantly (most of the wear comes when they are first turned on, because
resistance in the element is lowest when the element is cool and current
surges then).

I suppose if you had an intermittant connection the bulb could flicker on
and off rapidly, and stress the element, but it would have to be
noticeable or there would be no cooling of the element to cause a current
surge.

So I just continue to replace bulbs more often than should be necessary.

 Don H. Coombs

On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Don Roskovich wrote:

> Just curious if anyone has more info on Moscow's short-lived light bulb
> problem?  I'm just about to head out the door to again change 8 - 9
> bulbs in my mother's apartment....the same bulbs that were changed only
> a few weeks ago.  I spoke to the landlord who assured me there is no
> problem with wiring in the house.  He lives upstairs and has not noticed
> his bulbs burning out frequently as do my mothers.  He suggested it is
> because my mother keeps some of her lights burning all night.  I find it
> hard to believe that this is the reason since I have bulbs in my
> business that burn 24 hours a day and haven't been replaced in years.  I
> know Vera White contacted AVISTA.....was there an explanation printed
> and I just missed it?
>                              Ellen A. Roskovich

Back to TOC