NOT IN OUR NAME

Hello, Everyone!
This is it.  A 3-day final push to get as many names as possible and at least $1000. to pay for the full-page ad that
will appear in the weekend edition of the Moscow-Pullman Daily News, Oct. 18-19.

**Deadline for names of signatories and contributions (optional) for the ad is Saturday noon, Oct. 12,  Farmer's Market Peace Vigil table.  Donations and names can be turned in at the Friday Vigil, 5-6:30, Oct. 11, or at the Peace Vigil table, Farmers' Market,  Saturday morning, Oct. 12,  between 8 and Noon--both in Friendship Square.

**The text of the local NOT In Our Name newspaper ad follows below.  People can read it, and send a "yes, sign me on" email reply to give permission to print his/her name along with hundreds of other names and  the text.  It seems to make sense that only U.S. citizens (of any age) or citizens from other countries who live here and pay federal income taxes would sign this, though.

**Feel free to  send it around and invite people to sign on.   Send a "yes, sign me on" reply to our new email secretary, Sally Perrine:  sperrine@potlatch.com

**But remember, deadline for getting names into the  local ad  (and for giving money contributions) is this Saturday, Oct. 12, 12 o'clock noon.

The local NOT IN OUR NAME statement is basically the first four paragraphs of the national Not in Our Name statement (we made two minor changes in the fourth paragraph), plus added a fifth paragraph from the Peace Vigil literature. This version was chosen for publication by those 30+ people in attendance at the Vigil on Friday, Oct. 4:

"Let it not be said that people in the United States did nothing when their government declared a war without limit and instituted stark new measures of repression.

The signers of this statement call on the people of the U.S. to resist the policies and overall political direction that have emerged since September 11, 2001, and which pose grave dangers to the people of the world.

We believe that peoples and nations have the right to determine their own destiny, free from military coercion by great powers.  We believe that all persons detained or prosecuted by the United States government should have the same rights of due process.  We believe that questioning, criticism, and dissent must be valued and protected.  We understand that such rights and values are always contested and must be fought for.

We believe that people of conscience must take responsibility for what their own governments do--we must first of all oppose the injustice that is done in our own name.  Thus we call on all Americans to RESIST the war and repression that has already been loosed on the world as well as that which currently is being contemplated and planned.  It is unjust, immoral, and illegitimate.  We choose to make common cause with the people of the world.

And who are we?  We are people of different religious faiths as well as of no particular religious faith.  We represent no particular political party, but join with people worldwide committed to justice for all peoples and nonviolent resolution of conflict.  We invite you to say with us,       NOT IN OUR NAME. "

Back to TOC