Avoiding the question, Contradictions: Establishment of Government Religion?

Doug Jones et. al.

Regarding your claim that I am "punishing the list" by not following past
discussions, let me assure you I am fully aware of the parameters of these
debates, and have for years heard the same arguments you are making.  Your
statements have not revealed that I have missed anything!

Allow me to explain!

My question about the public schools was just an example of one way among
many that an official government religion could be mandated.  Using religion
to mandate style of dress is another, like Islamic countries which mandate
the veil for women in public, a clear case of official government religion
controlling people by law.  Hmmmmm.... there couldn't be a parallel here in
the case of the new nudity ordinance in Moscow, could there?  Of course not!

But I will respond to your statements about education.
It appears from your answer that if you do not think Christianity should be
taught in the public schools, that you do not support establishing an
official government religion?  You seem to dodge the question by simply
saying that you don't believe in public schools, because education is
"inherently religious."  So I must ask my simple question again which was
the whole point of bringing up teaching an official government religion in
the public schools:

Do you support establishing an official government religion?

You seem to miss the logic in the context of this discussion, which is that
there are people who do not want certain relative Christian values of one
particular sect of Christianity (there is great disagreement among
Christians as to the details of Christian morals and practices, just talk to
a Catholic or a Baptist or a Lutheran etc. and find out) to be controlling
government in a manner that suppresses the civil rights etc. of other
religions or viewpoints.  Applying this statement to our current debate
about the Moscow nudity ordinance, which you seem to forget is what this
discussion is about, there are many in the Moscow community who disagree
with what they perceive as a heavy handed attempt by one viewpoint (a
particular branch of Christianity) to push it's agenda on the whole
community.  Everyone has a right to promote their viewpoint in a Democracy,
ideally, so we are equal in this respect, don't you agree?  Isn't secular
democratic government wonderful in its tolerance for all viewpoints?

But really you contradict yourself when you say that "Education is
inherently religious and the current "neutral" enlightenment worldview ...
should not be imposed..." and then state that no religion should be taught
in public schools.  For one thing, the so called "neutral" enlightenment
worldview is anything but neutral on many issues.  This is a misstatement of
your oppositions viewpoint, one of the most common tactics to win a debate.
But I'll put that aside for the moment to ask how can you make such a strong
statement about how education should proceed and then not advocate reform of
the public schools to stop what you state is the wrong approach to
education?  Do you mean to say you don't care that the children in the
public schools are receiving an education that you clearly state is
seriously flawed?  The public schools are not going to be dismantled, as you
seem to hope.  What if a large percentage of the population wanted an
education that offers religious diversity of teachings in the public
schools, where children learn about all the worlds major religions, where
every student's religious background is respected and taught?  This approach
has always seemed to me to offer the best education about the real world we
live in than either teaching only one "true" religion in a doctrinaire
religious school or teaching no religion at all.  And it fulfills your wish
to have education involve religion when you stated that "education is
inherently religious."  I completely agree that religion should be taught in
the public schools: all religions in great detail with a emphasis on empathy
and understanding of all spiritual traditions, which all have profound
values and insights to offer!!!!

Would you support the public schools if the teaching of a wide range of
religious viewpoints and practices in the public schools was part of the
regular curriculum?   I suspect not.  I suspect that you believe that only
your set of religious values are the correct ones, and teaching children to
respect all religious viewpoints would lead to moral chaos.  Am I correct?
But is it not possible to find a moral core of commonality among the world's
religions?  A large subject I will not explore now, but the question is
worth investigation.

Ted

as "\>From: "Doug Jones" <redenda@moscow.com>