Re: Neo-Nazi propaganda posted in downtown Moscow

Date forwarded: 	Wed, 7 Jul 1999 15:08:43 -0700 (PDT)
Date sent:      	Wed, 07 Jul 1999 15:08:43 -0700
To:             	vision2020@moscow.com
From:           	Robert Hoffmann <escape@alt-escape.com>
Subject:        	Re: Neo-Nazi propaganda posted in downtown Moscow
Forwarded by:   	vision2020@moscow.com

> Because sec@moscow.com is the second person to comment on this, I think a
> definition is in order.
>
> Context:
> The parts of a sentence, paragraph, discourse, etc. immediately next to or
> surrounding a specified word or passage and determining its exact meaning.
> [Webster's New World Dictionary]
>
> By extracting one line of my posting (Tonight I learned that right-wing
> extremist fliers were recently found) from its _context_, it is easy for
> some people to take offense.  Because my _context_ of "right-wing
> extremist" included "Aryan Nations" and "Neo-Nazi" (and the wider context
> of the Aryan Nations march in Couer D'Alene),

I didn't see any mention of Christian Right, Nation of Islam, or any
other Religious hate groups, how about the Birchers? they are also
a "Extream Right Wing" hate group

> it surprises me that some  individuals on this list are getting their feathers ruffled.  While I can
> try to bend over backwards to avoid offending people ("Right wing
> extremists associated with and similar to the Aryan Nations in their
> belief that there should be a White Aryan Homeland and a race war, as
> opposed to those nice and peace-loving individuals on this list who happen
> to be right wing, and who some people might consider extreme, but who in
> their hearts are good, law-abiding individuals"), but I don't choose to do
> that for several reasons:
>
> 1. It would be silly.
> 2. This meaning was covered by the _context_ of my posting already.
> 3. Some people will bend over backwards to find offense, no matter how
> hard I try to avoid offense.
>
> So I will maintain the economy of my words, and trust that my fellow
> Vision 2020 readers will understand the _context_ of my statements, and
> not attempt to split hairs.

I see.. so it's splitting hairs to be lumped in with the Aryan Nations? I
don''t find it so, I it offensive that someone comes along and tries to
associate me with them. The words "aryan white supremacy groups"
or even "white supremacy groups" have a MUCH clearer meaning.

Stan Evans

Back to TOC