Re: Neo-Nazi propaganda posted in downtown Moscow

Because sec@moscow.com is the second person to comment on this, I think a
definition is in order.

Context:
The parts of a sentence, paragraph, discourse, etc. immediately next to or
surrounding a specified word or passage and determining its exact meaning.
[Webster's New World Dictionary]

By extracting one line of my posting (Tonight I learned that right-wing
extremist fliers were recently found) from its _context_, it is easy for
some people to take offense.  Because my _context_ of "right-wing
extremist" included "Aryan Nations" and "Neo-Nazi" (and the wider context
of the Aryan Nations march in Couer D'Alene), it surprises me that some
individuals on this list are getting their feathers ruffled.  While I can
try to bend over backwards to avoid offending people ("Right wing
extremists associated with and similar to the Aryan Nations in their belief
that there should be a White Aryan Homeland and a race war, as opposed to
those nice and peace-loving individuals on this list who happen to be right
wing, and who some people might consider extreme, but who in their hearts
are good, law-abiding individuals"), but I don't choose to do that for
several reasons:

1. It would be silly.
2. This meaning was covered by the _context_ of my posting already.
3. Some people will bend over backwards to find offense, no matter how hard
I try to avoid offense.

So I will maintain the economy of my words, and trust that my fellow Vision
2020 readers will understand the _context_ of my statements, and not
attempt to split hairs.

At 01:33 PM 7/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
>> At 10:33 PM 7/6/99 -0700, you wrote:
>> >Tonight I learned that right-wing extremist fliers were recently found
>>
>> --snip--
>>
>> >Bob Hoffmann
>>

>> Please do not confuse me with them.  I consider myself right-wing.  Some
>> may even call me extreme.  Let us not muddy the definitions here.
>> Right-wing, as I see it, believes in individual freedoms over the state.
>> Neo-Nazis are Neo-Nazis.  Regardless of their political lean.  Perhaps you
>> heard of some Neo-Nazi flyers in town.  They may be right-wing, but that
>> is not what concerns me about them.
>>
>> Marc
>>
>> Radical right-winger (Not necessarily a Conservitive)
>
>interesting point, I am a "liberal Republican" (that which governs lest
>governs best, Pro choice, Pro Gun, Pro Freedom), ergo, to the right
>of center on the political spectrum, (right wing) however, call me a
>Neo-Nazi and my first impulse is to break several bones. my second
>impulse it to wonder what kind of a ignorant morron would insult
>someone they don't even know with such a vile insult.
>
>let us PLEASE be accurate in the use of the Language, ignorantly
>slandering people is NOT the way to have a inteligent discustion
>
>(and we will be in C'DA on the weekend. to much blood calls out for
>us to do otherwise)

Bob Hoffmann                         229 East C St., Suite B
Alt-Escape Adventures                Moscow, ID  83843  USA
http://www.alt-escape.com            Phone: (208) 883-0642
                                     Fax: 1-800-683-3799

Back to TOC