Groundwater Forum notes, day 2

I recommend everybody read or view the animated version of Dr. Seuss's "The Lorax" (I prefer the cartoon for the music.)  Though the story may seem extreme, it definitely reflects the affects of unregulated growth.  Carrying capacities are reached and the system crashes if over-development is allowed.

Our society does represent the Oncelers of The Lorax.  We do trash ecosystems in exchange for wealth.  That is obvious to anybody willing to look at what we are doing.

Does this need to happen?

Few people are willing to be the Lorax and say, "Stop!"  I thank Bill and Diane French for doing this in reference to what they call the Old Growth of water: our aquifer, and commit themselves to informing our community about this issue.  Check out http://www.pwcn.org/ for more information about what they are doing.
Thanks also to everybody who brought the Groundwater Forum together and all those who presented information.

The first part of the evening were presentations from Diane French, who discussed ways to conserve water in your house and why households should conserve.  Perhaps she will email the list a synopses of these tips.
Tim Eaton discussed xeroscaping, or using native and drought tolerant plants in your home garden.  It definitely makes sense to use plants that require less water.  Did you know the ubiquitous maples are one of the most water consuming trees?  Perhaps he will email the list a synopses of xeroscaping.
Bill French discussed water rate structures and how they affect water uses.   Apparently our current rate structure means that the more water you use, the less you pay on a per gallon basis.  Certainly a person still pays to use more water, but it does not necessarily encourage conservation.  He suggested an exponential type rate structure where a person pays at least as much on a per gallon basis, like industry is rated.  Perhaps he will email the list a synopses of his figures.
Mark Cook, our Water Dept. Director, discussed the Water Dept, it's budget troubles and "new direction."  The Water Dept. recently was severed from the Sewer Dept and was found to not be financially stable on it's own.  Thus rates were recently raised.  Mark is new at this job, so he is in the process of inventorying the dept. infrastructure and hopes to have an idea of budget needed to keep solvent soon.  Perhaps he will email the list progress the dept. makes.
A panel discussion ended the evening with Steve Busch, president of the city council, Larry Kirkland(?) from the Palouse Basin Aquifer Committee(?), Mark Cook and Bill French.  They discussed various issues regarding our aquifer and took questions from the audience.
I wanted to clarify the question I asked via a written question that was not presented correctly by the moderator.  He said I was "concerned about the direction of the water dept." when in reality I wrote "I am curious about the 'new direction' that Mark spoke about."  This was in reference to his comment that he wants to run the dept. like a business to stay profitable.  I also wrote that I understand needing to make money to pay for repairs and the like, but that I was concerned that the desire to make a profit may supercede the necesity to conserve our aquifer.  I also asked if Moscow is planning on drilling new wells, but that was not repeated by the moderator.

Our aquifer is in decline.  It is not being recharged faster than it is being withdrawn.  Other regions have abused their acquirers and are now suffering.  This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.

We can ignore this and continue "pumping and dumping" this groundwater and hope it does not dry out.  That is neither logical nor wise.  We need to be serious and come up with a plan regarding our aquifer.

The forum of this week was good.  But it's message is not as important as action to reduce use of this limited resource.

Our city (officials and residents) need to make this issue a priority.  We can talk about economic growth all we want, but unless we take into consideration the basis for real wealth, ie water, and plan for its preservation for future residents and officials, we face the day when the last drop of quality groundwater will be more valuable than the last seed of the Trufula Tree the Lorax desperately tried to save.

My intention is not to be an alarmist.  I do believe, however, that there is no reason not  to be proactive in conserving this most valuable resource.

Garrett Clevenger