Moscow Charter School and the Sunset Clause

Dear Visionaries:
Recent comments about the elimination of the sunset clause prompt this
letter.  I share with Rep. Trail a deep concern about the possibility of
school vouchers in Idaho.  I am therefore committed to the concept of charter
schools, which by definition are public schools, with oversight provided by
the state and/or local sponsoring district.  The Moscow Charter School
charter is held by the Moscow School District.  Charter schools operate with
an organizational/curricular flexibility that, I believe, at this early stage
of development, should be closely monitored by the public as well as state
and local educators.  On February 12, 2001, I sent the following letter to
Rep. Trail and Sen. Schroeder.  Following the letter please continue reading
for an update on the issues addressed in the letter.  I apologize for the
length of this email but the situation is complex and warrants, I believe,
serious attention.
RH

January 12, 2001

Dear Representative Trail and Senator Schroeder:

I know that you will soon be receiving letters and comments on the proposed
changes to the "Sunset Clause" currently part of the charter school
legislation.  Many people will urge you to present legislation that will
eliminate it.  While I understand that the "Sunset Clause" represents a
barrier in seeking financial backing for new building construction, I believe
it is crucial to take a measured approach toward repealing it.  Among my
reasons for this position are the following points:
1. Currently the Moscow Charter School attorney, Brian Thie, the Moscow
Charter School Director, Mary Lang, and the Board of the Moscow Charter
School are arguing (in the legal sense) that they are not a public school,
but in fact a non profit corporation.  Thus, for example, they refuse to
provide minutes of past board meetings, or public financial records upon
request, since only members of the Board are "legitimate" members of the
corporation, and have the right to see the minutes or other related public
material.  It is hard for me to believe that this claim to corporate
protection of privacy was the intention of the legislature in regard to
charter schools.
The State Board of Education, not surprisingly, holds a different perspective
than Brian Thie's and is working to clarify the issue.  Carolyn Mauer, Bureau
Chief of Curriculum and Accountability, has been very responsive and
courteous in trying to solve this problem.
2. Currently, the State Board of Education can only "recommend" that charter
school board members avoid the appearance of impropriety. The rules that
apply to boards of trustees don't necessarily apply to the governing board of
a non-profit corporation. Therefore, many charter school boards include
spouses of staff or employees - a situation that implies by its very nature
at least a potential conflict of interest.  In the case of the Moscow Charter
School, Mary Lang's husband, Joseph Thompson, and Jason Albrecht, husband of
the 1st grade teacher are both on the board.  To further complicate matters,
Katrina Dasenbrock, a former business partner of Mary Lang's, and current
owner of the Educational Turning Points Opportunities Corporation is also on
the board.  Ms. Dasenbrock holds a lease for a building on the newly
purchased (anticipated) school site.  Ms. Dasenbrock and Mary Lang are
currently working out the details of a new lease.  It is interesting to note
that until the filing of the Annual Report in December 2000, Mary Lang was
listed as the corporate vice president of Ms. Dasenbrock's day care.  The
following link showing this connection is from the Access Idaho web site.
http://www.accessidaho.org/apps/sos/corp/document.html?id=CORPARTICLE%23127433

&title=04+Feb+1999+-+INCORPORATION+%28EDUCATIONAL+TURNING+POINT+OPPORTUNITIES%

2C+INC.%29&page=1&subaction=print

This year's filing shows Mary is no longer being a board member:
http://www.accessidaho.org/apps/sos/corp/document.html?id=AREPORTS%23%23%23%23

00357545&title=22+Dec+2000+-+2000+ANNUAL+REPORT+&page=0&subaction=print

These points are troubling to me. They don't seem to reflect a board that is
disinterested in the outcome of financial or personnel matters.

It is my sense that perhaps it would be helpful if the "Sunset Clause" was
retained at least until the five year time period has elapsed.  While it does
constrain building activities, it also provides time for a specific school to
mature, faculty and administrators to stabilize, long range educational plans
to be developed and implemented, and a reasonable time frame in which to
demonstrate (and evaluate) a public record of responsible education and
decision making.

In reviewing the evaluative document [Program Report, Idaho Charter Schools
Program Evaluation Report Year One] prepared by the Northwest Regional
Education Laboratory for the Idaho State Department of Education in July
2000, regarding charter schools, I am struck by the wide diversity of
philosophies, local district support, and educational scope of Idaho's
charter schools.  It seems probable that not all these schools will be
operating five years from now.  Will the state have to bear some of the
financial losses associated with school closure if the Sunset Clause is
revoked prematurely?

Instead of removing the "Sunset Clause" I would instead suggest that you
consider sponsoring legislation that will clarify ambiguities in the current
statute so that Charter School boards, administrators, patrons, (and
attorneys) are clear about their responsibilities.  It would also be most
helpful if a clear line of oversight and accountability was established. At
this time the state cannot revoke a charter because the local district
issuing the charter retains that power.  On the other hand, the district
issuing the charter has (to my understanding) limited administrative
oversight of the charter school. Is it possible, aside from curriculum
flexibility, that legal expectations for Charter Schools could be exactly the
same as those standards for public schools?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I know the next few months are
very busy ones for you.  If time allows, I would appreciate a respond to my
concerns.  Meanwhile, I wish you both an interesting and rewarding
legislative session.

Sincerely,
Rosemary Huskey
1033 Canyon Road
Moscow, Idaho 83843
email: DonaldH675@AOL.com

UPDATE:
On January 29, 2001 an attorney for the state board of Education issued a
legal opinion that the minutes from charter schools are indeed public records
and must be available for public scrutiny.   It was with a certain amount of
irony, (after we actually had access to the Moscow Charter Bylaws) that we
read in (Article 5 - Section 2 Books and Records of the Moscow Charter School
Bylaws: "as a public school the corporation shall comply with the requirement
of Title 9, Chapter 3 of the Idaho Code relating to public writings" ) and
learned (what clearly the administrators, members of the board of directors,
and attorney, must have been aware of all along) we did have a right to see
the minutes.  Instead, it took us three months time, several written
requests, countless telephone calls, and finally the involvement of the State
Department of Education to gain this seemingly simple objective. The public
can now read most of the minutes of the Moscow Charter School. (Some are
still being reviewed by the school attorney to protect confidentiality.) They
are available at the Moscow Charter School library.  As a public service, and
to save others the time and money we spent gaining access to these records
they have been scanned and placed on line at www. moscowcharter.com .
It is my understanding that Katrina Dasenbrock resigned from the Board of
Trustees following the January 30th charter school board meeting.

My letter to Senator Schroeder and Representative Trail addresses just some
of the issues that concern me about oversight and operation of charter
schools.  Successfully meeting the educational needs of Idaho children
requires a variety of approaches, and certainly charter schools should be
among the options.  But until an established record (and I don't believe five
years is excessive) of service and educational achievement is completed and
professionally evaluated, I believe a cautious approach best serves the needs
of our school children and provides the wisest use of our tax dollars. The
ability to borrow money to finance a new school building is a much lower
priority (at least to me) than many of the more pressing challenges facing
charter schools in the state.

Rosemary Huskey
1033 Canyon Road
Moscow