Re: Overlays

By the way Ry, I'm a member of the list, you don't need to cc me your
reply - one copy is enough.

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 20:09:47 -0800 (PST), Ry wrote:

>Radio Shack sells a $15 tone dialer that holds (IIRC) 30 numbers.
>It takes up some pocket (or purse) space. Makes credit card and
>calling card calls MUCH easier.

Great, so your tech solution is to buy yet another gadget to haul
around with you everywhere.

>> If everyone in the country is dialing eleven digit numbers, regardless
>> of WHO they are trying to reach, then is the likelihood of getting a
>> wrong number at 3 am from some drunk in NYC that was trynig to call
>> his wife to explain why he isn't home yet also greater?!
>
>Drunks in NYC already have to dial 11 digits, duh. If they dial 208
>instead of 718 (hey, he's drunk) you're getting the call regardless.

I'm refering to if _everyone_ in the country had to dial 11 digits;
all >250 million of them. I used a drunk as an example, but it could
be a farmer in Nebraska, or a waiter in Texas.

Turning off the ringer and getting a pager for emergencies is a tech
solution all right; i'm just not sure if it's the _best_ solution.

Given the obvious and many benefits of this system expounded by Ry,
it's obvious that society seems to be headed towards a future were
everyone will be accessible (and accountable) at all times, regardless
of when or where you are. Oh brave new world!  I can't WAIT for this
utopian future! Anyone in the country will be a simple (mis)dial away!

andy

P.S. Just because i'm anti-cell phone doesn't mean i'm stupid, or a
technophobe; although Ry seesm to think these are the only reasons why
ANYONE wouldn't want one. I simply have better things to do in my free
time than yammer in the restaurant, the library, the grocery store;
announcing my every move and plans while annoying all those around me.

Back to TOC