re: Gun Legislation

At 08:51 AM 4/30/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Imposing restrictions on the purchase of rapdily firing weapons is
>different than prohibiting ownership of hunting rifles.  Restricting the
>sale of cheap hand guns differs from prohibiting the sale of target
>pistols.  The refusal to acknowledge such differences is nonsensical.
>
>Dale Goble
>Moscow

I love it. An ad hominim attack!  So if I refuse to acknowledge that such
restrictions are goo, I am nonsensical?

The generic Remington 7400 plain-Jane hunting rifle is semi-automatic.  So
is a Colt AR-15.  They fire at the same rate--once every trigger pull.  You
can buy the former at Wal-Mart.  The latter, since the government has
declared them 'bad' guns, cost a lot more and Wal-Mart doesn't carry them.
 Functionally they are the same.  What difference are you talking about?

And i'ts OK to own an expensive handgun, but not an inexpensive one.
Legislation of economic status?  How would you word such a law?  The net
effect would be a sudden lack of inexpensive handguns.  Now, instead of
paying $100 for a Lorcin or Raven, it suddenly costs $200.  A legislated
price increase--instantly, it is not a cheap gun!  I would not assume to
know how you feel, but I believe a person's rights should not depend upon
their level of wealth and what they can or cannot afford.

Nonsensically secure,
Marc Cramer

Back to TOC