Re: Parents and Schools

I don't believe that the issue here is really one of being or not being
an anomaly in today's permissive and creative society. One way or
another, the social individual must, through rearing, nurturing,
educating and practicing situations learn his/her role in the group and
larger community. Military service, shorn of a singular goal of
destroying an enemy, and when properly conducted and with sound moral
leadership, can contribute very meaningfully to building such social
responsibility, to providing direction for individuals and groups, to
inculcating collective consciousness, and to instilling needed pride in
national purpose. I wonder what this world would look like today if the
USA had failed to do its share in World War II (I served four years) --
w/o prejudicing our commitment and the Western Allies' own behaviors
after WW I and Versailles; what it would look like if Soviet Communism
had spread across all of Eurasia and even into North America?
Ciitizenship training, including such things as scouting, can go a long
way to thwarting the social and political trends that nourish such
aberrations in governmental systems; but in the kind of world we have to
live in, military duty has its clear function and, when appropriately
managed, can contribute in wholesome ways to building our civic
enterprise. But like any other institution, the military will reflect the
values and sentiments that prevail in the broader society. If we tolerate
corruption and abuses in our civic life, they will find their ways into
other places (there's plenty of evidence of that!).  The number of insane
dictators and other leaders that still roam the earth today must be
confronted at some point in time, lest  their evil ways encroach more and
more into other domains until massive responses become necessary. Of
course, these cases are never totally either "black" or "white", "us"
versus "them", but we have to know when to draw the line and take a
stand. So it is in community life. Juvenile behaviors that run amuck, on
the scale of recent years,  are already signs that there's deep trouble
in our socializing practices. It's time those "in control" restructure
things, or it'll simply get worse. Considerations of media licensing and
reinstalling some forms of discipline and uniform (not necessarily
clothing) practices in schools and youth organizations are well past due.
Unless parents and children agree to conform, all will be lost.
Ken Medlin (I'm not a fossil)

William K. Medlin
Dev-plan associates
930 Kenneth Street