Re: pizzaville

At 05:47 PM 4/14/99 -0700, Peggy Adams wrote:

>As banking services become increasingly linked to distant financial
>centers, the availability of development $ in rural-to-semi-rural areas
>
>It is not impossible to keep banking local.  Stock in local companies
>sold only to local investors, community banking, and local currency can
>help prevent the massive outflow of capital.  Perhaps if leakage was
>stopped we could reduce dependency on those distant financial centers.

Let's not forget the Latah Federal Credit Union.  Headquartered right here
in Moscow, the money I deposit is more likely to stay in town than money
that is deposited in Wells Fargo or another bank.  This helps keep money in
the community.  Credit Union members can help steer credit union policy.
It is my understanding that credit unions also offer more interest on
deposits, while charging less interest on loans.  They can do this because
they don't skim profits off the top--credit unions, by definition, are
non-profit institutions.

Robert Hoffmann                      817 S. Adams
Alt-Escape Adventures                Moscow, ID  83843  USA
http://www.alt-escape.com            Phone: (208) 883-0642
	             Fax:   (208) 883-8545

Back to TOC