Re: pizzaville

As banking services become increasingly linked to distant financial
centers, the availability of development $ in rural-to-semi-rural areas

It is not impossible to keep banking local.  Stock in local companies
sold only to local investors, community banking, and local currency can
help prevent the massive outflow of capital.  Perhaps if leakage was
stopped we could reduce dependency on those distant financial centers.

> regional human resources, their skills are mostly not in those sectors
> that attract hi-tech firms

You make this sound like a bad thing.

>tho' they are trainable.

And who wants that type of training?  Most of us moved here because we
don't want to be cogs in the wheel of industry or middle managers.  Do
you??  If we wanted that type of job we'd move to where they are.

> larger firms, like INTEL (while not a good model for us), do to an area:
> Rapid expansion of low-paying ($6 - 10 per hour) jobs, which require the
> second homemaker and teen kids to go to work at food and other retailers
> at even less pay. Overall the effects are negative for quality of life,
> school budgets, and upward mobility, creating the need for cheaper,
> sprawl-like housing and recreational outlets. Such companies say, "we'll
> train the workforce" but the programs do not lead to alternatives other
> than those the managers want, at the lowest possible cost.

Too true.  Rather than attract outside industry can't we provide
incentives to encourage local small-scale business?  Business that would
be distinctive to our region, that would add to our culture, our economy,
and our quality of life?

Peggy

Back to TOC