Re: pizzaville

>needed to create high paying manufacturing jobs for a captive and
>highly educated labor force.
Thanks for the figures -- would like to know what econ model you applied,
and also any info on the flow of investment capital in-and-out of the
area. As banking services become increasingly linked to distant financial
centers, the availability of development $ in rural-to-semi-rural areas
like ID becomes more difficult and costly. As for the quality of our
regional human resources, their skills are mostly not in those sectors
that attract hi-tech firms, tho' they are trainable. I recently saw what
larger firms, like INTEL (while not a good model for us), do to an area:
Rapid expansion of low-paying ($6 - 10 per hour) jobs, which require the
second homemaker and teen kids to go to work at food and other retailers
at even less pay. Overall the effects are negative for quality of life,
school budgets, and upward mobility, creating the need for cheaper,
sprawl-like housing and recreational outlets. Such companies say, "we'll
train the workforce" but the programs do not lead to alternatives other
than those the managers want, at the lowest possible cost. To attract
high-quality firms, with good wages, into this area a  fundamental
reorientation of secondary and post-secondary education is essential --
maybe past us by this point -- , as educational changes need 5-10 years
to take effect before results in socio-economic capacities are visible.
Meantime, employers have to import personnel at probably higher cost than
locally trained persons would be. One has to ask at this point, What is
the quality of the leadership that makes the decisions about these policy
directions? "Who's in charge?"

William K. Medlin
Dev-plan associates
930 Kenneth Street