Re: BOCC AGENDA FOR WEEK OF APRIL 12, 1999

Judi~

I can answer some of your questions regarding the benefits package at Latah
County.  I believe that domestic partners would qualify for the same
benefits as spouses and children which are health, optical and dental.
Latah County pays the full amount for each employee to be covered by
insurance.  Employees pay to have dependants on their insurance.  The
Commissioners voted to raise the amount the County pays for dependent
coverage from 25% to 50% effective in March 1999.  Until March, employees
with dependants were paying 75% of the insurance costs themselves.  I now
pay $59.56 per month to have my child on the health insurance plan.  I also
pay to have my child on the dental insurance and I think that it runs about
$35 per month.  Currently, county employees have the option to pay for extra
benefits for their dependants such as life insurance.  I do not know if
domestic partners would be eligible for that benefit.  I believe that the
amount to have just a spouse on the insurance is more than the price to have
one child and no other dependants.

Truthfully, I don't think it's too much to ask that domestic partners be
covered.  Employees are paying an equal amount if not more depending on
which benefits their dependants are covered under.  Also, the 50% the county
is paying for dependant insurance is only budgeted for six months, March to
September 1999.  If the money is not budgeted again then the county would be
paying much less than the employees to cover dependants.

I wish I could be more help with this but I don't have the paperwork with me
that lists the amounts it costs to add dependents to the benefit package.

Nikki Agidius