Re: Tree Planting

Walter Steed sent a question to V2020 about the plantings along the Latah Trail
near Tidymans.  He was concerned that the trees were planted to close together.
In response, Roger Blanchard of the parks dept explains that the plantings were
shrubs and trees--and were clustered on purpose.
BL

Roger Blanchard wrote:

> The 800 saplings were planted from Blaine St. to Mt. View Rd. on Saturday,
> October 5 by 78 community volunteers.  Two grants awarded by the Latah
> County Community Forestry program were combined to accomplish the planting.
> The Paradise Path Task Force, a City of Moscow advisory committee, received
> a grant to plant the segment from Blaine to Alturas Business Park.  The Task
> Force partnered with the UI Natural Resource Conservation Club, the
> recipients of the other grant, to extend the planting project from Alturas
> to Mt. View Rd.
>
> The plantings were primarily species native to the Northwest.  They included
> low shrubs, shrubby trees, and some trees such as Ponderosa pine, Engelmann
> spruce, rocky mt. maple, and quaking aspen.  The low shrubs are grouped and
> some low shrubs were planted around trees.  The taller growing plants are
> grouped so as to allow view lines from the highway into Tidyman's and the
> other businesses in Alturas Park.

Back to TOC