Re: Tree Planting

Walter,

Most of the planting was concentrated between Blaine and Mountain View.  A
few plants went on the East side of Mountain View.  The planting included a
significant number of native shrubs such as snowberry that are relatively
small and naturally grow close to each other.  I am copying Becky Chastain
and Roger Blanchard with the email since they have more specific details
than I.

Tom

>I've just noticed the trees recently planted along the new bike path east of
>Blaine Street along Highway 8.  I thought there were to be 800 trees to be
>placed from Blaine to the end of the new pavement (east City Limits),
>however, they now stop at Mountainview.  Were all 800 used or are more to be
>planted beyond Mountainview?
>
>Also, the ones that were planted seem to be extremely close together.  Is
>this because many are not expected to survive?  If all the plantings were to
>grow up, they would probably create a tree covered tunnel that would not be
>at all safe to walk in and no outside street lights would penetrate.
>
>Can anyone shed some light on this?
>
>Walter Steed

Thomas C. Lamar, Executive Director

Palouse-Clearwater Environmental Institute
P O Box 8596; 112 West 4th St; Suite #1
Moscow ID 83843-1096
Phone (208)882-1444; Fax (208)882-8029
url:  http://www.pcei.org

Celebrating sixteen years of "connecting people, place and community".