Re: Moscow's water policy

Walter-

I agree that people should pay for every gallon used. I was not referring to
a flat fee for any water used up to certain level; I was referring to a
tiered system where there are two different rates.  A lower rate would be
established for "basic water needs" and a higher rate would be established
for water over and above that level.  Sorry for the confusion.

Both you and Bill Strand made good points about sewage rates.  I would
encourage the city to look at the possibilities and suggest a cost-effective
way to charge people realistic sewage fees that more accurately reflect the
actual use of the sewage system.

As for John Danahy's query about flower and vegetable gardens, I say keep
the vegetables and flowers and be wise about mulching and watering.  It's
those huge green grass lawns that we might want to rethink.  Less grass
would also mean fewer chemicals used in our community and better health for
all of us.

Pam Palmer

On 8/28/02 9:32 PM, "WMSteed@aol.com" <WMSteed@aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 8/28/02 11:40:20 AM, ppalmer@moscow.com writes:
>
> << Potable water should be available for all residents, by some means that is
> not dependent on ability to pay high water rates.  This could be
> accomplished with a tiered system where an initial quantity of residential
> water use each month is set at one price and water use that goes over the
> suggested "basic water needs" amount is set at a higher level. >>
>
> Pam, I disagree with an initial basic amount for a set fee.  That only
> encourages people to use up to the base quanity since they are going to have
> to pay for it whether they use it or not.   Moscow's zero base with every
> gallon used being billed is the most fair method to all and the method that,
> through cost, encourages less use.  The less one uses the less they pay.
>
> Walter Steed

Back to TOC