RE: Topless issue in Moscow, few words more

It's pretty cool that your town has this forum for discussion.  It's something my adopted hometown of College Park, Maryland, should look into.

I'm curious what the political affiliation breakdown is in Moscow proper and the county in which Moscow sits.  I'm seeing a lot of intriguing issues being raised from both the Left and Right on your email forum.

A curious observer from the East,

--Ken Shepherd

 Dale Courtney wrote:

This is a *very* enlightening discussion.

Debbie Gray wrote:

> And I don't need a lecture about a fixed income. Most average
> people LIVE on a fixed income, senior citizens don't have a
> patent on it. My salary from the UofI is FIXED. And at this
> rate, it's going to see 'negative growth' to put it in
> Enron-esque terms. My husband's county salary is FIXED. But,
> to me school taxes, pool taxes, property taxes, 911 taxes,
> etc. are investments for my kids, your kids, you, me, my
> neighbor, etc. I don't want my children attending school in a
> marginal schoolbuilding with questionable safety, gigantic
> class sizes, no extracurricular activities and teachers
> struggling to get by on FIXED incomes of their own. Who here
> doesn't have a fixed income?

Actually, we *don't* have a fixed ! income. We can go get research grants;
we can work part-time elsewhere; and we can quit our jobs and go
elsewhere for more money. We have the ability to work overtime, a
second/third job (which many of us are).

However, the seniors generally don't have these options. Many are fully
retired due to age. Some do side-jobs; most that I've met do not and
cannot. It is this "cannot" that makes the difference between them and
us.

They truly lose food if taxes are raised. Now *that's* a true zero-sum
gain.

Dale Courtney
Moscow, Idaho

Ken Shepherd