RE: Topless issue in Moscow, few words more

This is a *very* enlightening discussion.

Debbie Gray wrote:

> And I don't need a lecture about a fixed income. Most average
> people LIVE on a fixed income, senior citizens don't have a
> patent on it. My salary from the UofI is FIXED. And at this
> rate, it's going to see 'negative growth' to put it in
> Enron-esque terms. My husband's county salary is FIXED. But,
> to me school taxes, pool taxes, property taxes, 911 taxes,
> etc. are investments for my kids, your kids, you, me, my
> neighbor, etc. I don't want my children attending school in a
> marginal schoolbuilding with questionable safety, gigantic
> class sizes, no extracurricular activities and teachers
> struggling to get by on FIXED incomes of their own. Who here
> doesn't have a fixed income?

Actually, we *don't* have a fixed income. We can go get research grants;
we can work part-time elsewhere; and we can quit our jobs and go
elsewhere for more money. We have the ability to work overtime, a
second/third job (which many of us are).

However, the seniors generally don't have these options. Many are fully
retired due to age. Some do side-jobs; most that I've met do not and
cannot. It is this "cannot" that makes the difference between them and
us.

They truly lose food if taxes are raised.  Now *that's* a true zero-sum
gain.

Dale Courtney
Moscow, Idaho

Back to TOC