new local research kitchen opens to the public

    A fully-equipped research kitchen is now available for testing and
development of processed food and herbal products by local
entrepreneurs, announced Mary Jane Butters, CEO of MaryJanesFarm, a
Moscow organic prepared foods processing and marketing company.  Anyone
interested in developing and marketing value-added food products is
invited to use the kitchen for only five dollars per hour.
 The kitchen equipment, valued at approximately $10,000, is on long-term
loan from the Clearwater Resource Conservation and Development Council,
Inc., explained RC&D coordinator Dan Pierce of Moscow.  The kitchen
includes a fruit press, food dryer, pressure cookers and food
processors.
The council loaned the equipment to the Pay Dirt Farm School, a
non-profit organization created by Butters to offer apprenticeships in
planting, growing, harvesting, marketing, storing, and preserving
wholesome food.  The equipment is now installed at MaryJanesFarm, an
organic farm about eight miles southeast of Moscow.
 “The council originally purchased this equipment, with US Department of
Agriculture funding, to provide an incubator for new companies—to give
people with good ideas for new herbal and food products an opportunity
to perfect recipes and begin marketing.  We wanted to help people help
themselves,” Pierce said.
The equipment was purchased by the council for use in an incubator
kitchen planned by the Clearwater Sustainable Network at the
Elderberry’s store at Clarkston.  The store closed in December of 2001.
Pierce said that the offer by the Pay Dirt Farm School was the proposal
for use of the equipment that best fulfilled the original purpose.
The kitchen will be available at low cost, and Mary Jane Butters offered
to share her experience in food development, packaging, and marketing at
no charge with entrepreneurs using the facility, Pierce said.
 “We urge people to take advantage of this opportunity.  For only five
dollars per hour, they can use the kitchen and take advantage of the
free consultation Mary Jane is willing to offer.  This is certainly a
very good deal,” Pierce added.
 “Our business and operating philosophy focuses on building a local
network of suppliers (growers and processors) of organic grains,
vegetables, herbs, and other food products,” Butters said.  “We want to
provide reliable sources of income for our suppliers and brainstorm with
local farmers their ideas for value-added food products.  This kitchen
will help us attain those goals.”
 Anyone interested in reserving time at the kitchen is urged to contact
Mary Jane Butters at 208-882-6819 or at maryjane@maryjanesfarm.org.

Back to TOC