Re: Public Nudity - Our Community

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Bob Hoffmann wrote:

> I hate to throw another cow pie into the mix, but I don't see topless
> carwashing as a sexually oriented business, any more than walking topless
> is sexually oriented circumambulating.  A sexually oriented business sells
> sex toys, pornography, sex itself, has erotic dancing, etc.  Car washing is
> car washing.  If it becomes "sexually oriented" when a woman takes off her
> shirt, then doesn't every behavior (excluding breastfeeding) become
> sexually oriented when a woman takes off her shirt?
>
> Yes, I know many of you on the list would say "yes."  But those who are
> against "the ordinance"?

Well, this is tricky.  I don't think the car wash was as innocent as
someone sunbathing in their backyard topless.  I think the women were
aware that being topless would probably draw more money.  I don't grant
them that amount of ignorance.  I don't think they were just hot and took
off their shirt.  Social conditioning wouldn't allow that.

However I agree that it wasn't a sexually oriented business, in that sex
was not taking place, nor was the act of sex or the image of the act of
sex being used or sold.

Daniel

Back to TOC