V2020 List Owners

Dale Courtney (below) suggested that the "list owners" of Vision 2020 would
be deciding whether to purge anyone from the list.
That won't happen, since there are no "owners" or moderators of this list.
When this list was established, we envisioned this to be an open public
forum.  Like setting up a soap box in the park.  Nobody is censoring,
controlling, or purging.
We (all 490 or so of us subscribers) are in this together.  We all share the
responsibility for keeping this dialog going, centered and civil.
Over the last 10 years, the dialog has strayed from that ideal a few times
(OK, quite a few times), but (and here's an analogy I have used for years)
like a self-bailing boat, it manages to right itself when the subscribers
recognize the problems and post and act accordingly.  Democracy in
action.....
    This is an amazing exercise in freedom and anarchy--and a communication
system unlike any other.
    BL

Dale Courtney wrote:

> > >I'm saying that there are etiquettes for discussion boards.
> > >
> > >One of the primary etiquette protocols is to *never* forward a
> private
> > >Email to a public list unless you have the permission of the person
> > >sending -- and then you acknowledge that permission.
> >
> > I'm somewhat split on this.  I have chided people for sending my
> private
> > messages to the entire list.  But then again, my messages never
> contained
> > veiled threats.  Greg Brown basically informed us that he received a
> threat
> > in connection with the list.  And yes, he did forward that very brief
> > threat, so we could see that he was not making it up.  I don't know if
> > can criticize him for that--in fact, I think a number of us did the
> same
> > thing several years ago when we all received identical threats from a
> > person on the list.
>
> Bob,
>
> I appreciate what you are saying here. Such a threat, if believed to be
> valid and serious, should be taken to the civil authorities.
>
> On Email lists, these kinds of things are *typically* taken to the
> moderators/list owners first, and they deal with it as they see fit. Of
> course, the person making them ejected from the list (as a minimum). But
> that's up to the list owners of vision2020.
>
> Dale

Back to TOC