From: Erik [mailto:odaniel@moscow.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2001 11:02 AM
To: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: Re: this applies to Iran and Iraq as well!

It seems to me that both sides are slightly wrong.

Kill all the terrorists?  Sure.
Solve problems at home?  Sure.

It seems to me those who want to apply our first efforts towards the second
objective are missing the boat.

First and foremost, these people strike me as using the tragedy to further
their own political agendas.  I'm very sad for them.  I've seen articles
crying about our "liberal gun policies" at home.  No offense, but bullshit.
Our freedom to purchase firearms hasn't contributed to this tragedy.  That's
a self-serving political move, and one of the ugliest I've ever seen at
that.

Sure, we need to examine the WHY of this, but the more pressing examination
is into the WHO.  Those people should be killed or brought to Justice.  We
need to do our best to prevent this from happening again next week, and
taking out the people behind this tragedy is the surest way of doing that.

"Democracy, the practice of self-government, is a covenant among free men to
respect the rights and liberties of their fellows"
- Franklin D. Roosevelt

It seems to me that many people have forgotten, or more likely never even
learned in that piss-poor institution we call the public schools, that
Freedom is a very large thing.  It encompasses freedom to be a jerk, and
ability to cause harm to others.  That is a price that we choose to pay so
we may enjoy the Good of Freedom.  It is a price that MUST be paid.  Freedom
and the potential for tragedy go hand in hand.  Those that think we can
prevent tragedy are out to lunch.  Or they don't appreciate Freedom.

"Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that
men have died to win them."
- Franklin D. Roosevelt

And it seems to me that, again, people don't understand or never really
learned that another price of Freedom is that people must die.  Bad people
must die, and Good people must die in the course of weeding out the bad
guys.  Death is sad, but it is a price that must be paid.  Nothing Good is
without cost.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of
patriots and tyrants."
- Thomas Jefferson

I am actually surprised that we haven't had another "follow-up" tragedy.
The resources of the men behind this are vast.  They really would have hurt
us with another hijacking.  I think they fairly proved that they have the
ability and the will, and that is why they must be killed.  Passing
legislation to further infringe the 2nd amendment, or to make the CIA's
activities public information (that's rather crazy), or to limit our foreign
aid, and such is NOT going to make these nutjobs change their opinions of
the United States.

It's crazy to think that achieving only one of these objectives is going to
solve the problem.  Obviously the problem is more complex than that.  The
more imminent danger is from the terrorists - so let's kill them.

Erik
Idaho

(If anyone cares to argue that Good and Bad/Evil are just arbitrary
distinctions, go jump in a lake.  I don't have time for you.)

Back to TOC