Re: Where's the debate?

Dear Evan,

This is a response to your concerns about the LWV Forum to occur Thursday
evening.

#1.  I'm not moderating it this time so perhaps you will find Christopher
Stream more in the mold of Greg Brown than I was.  If things get too dull
you can always carry out your ice cube threat.

#2.  Eat dinner before you get to the forum.  If it's bad, you have none but
yourself to blame.  Or maybe Nancy, but I'd be careful about that.

#3.  I have to wonder why you waited till the last minute (week) to discuss
a change in the format.  If you feel it's grossly inadequate it would have
been helpful to have had your input early.  Frankly, I think it would be a
lot of fun to have a prolonged debate which might get really rambunctious:
someone would have to assure that all candidates were treated equitably of
course.  But whatever we might do in the future will be the decision of
League members.  Obviously changes should be made based on the
recommendations from those persons who attend the forum. Anyway, if you are
planning to storm the Bastille on Thursday evening, be warned, somebody just
might have a guillotine ready on the other side.

#4.  And last, I think, other voters might not be as swayed by a prolonged
evening as you and I.  Many are the reasons people choose one candidate over
another--eloquence and articulation are only two.  It may even be
appropriate to recall that Douglas won the debate and the senate seat, but
Lincoln beat him anyway for the presidency.

#5.  And really last, your musings about your vision for Moscow are
compelling.  I appreciated them.  But I bet you won't see six neckties.
Maybe five or even four.
Looking forward to Thursday evening.

Sue Hovey