Where's the debate?

Dear Visionaries;

This contest for the Moscow city council has certainly got off to a slow
start. I'm sure there must be a lot of rubbing shoulders behind the scenes
but I guess I was hoping for more to occur out in the open. I've been too
busy roofing to rub shoulders. Plus it would be dangerous to do that on a
12/12 pitch. In fact, that is probably indicative of decision-making in
Moscow anyway. It's like being up in the cheap seats trying to figure out
what is going on in a huddle of referees down at the fifty yard line. Here
in Moscow we often won't know the score until the game is almost over.

The Chamber of Commerce luncheon was fairly well attended (even 75% of the
candidates appeared) but quite frankly, the rules of engagement didn't
allow for any engagement. They served us a nice little chicken filet, an
arrangement of steamed vegetables and some browned herbed potato cubes. It
would have been good stuff for a food fight but I don't think that was
allowed either. I was pleased by the professional deportment and public
speaking ability of each of the candidates but nothing was said to upset
the status quo. In many cases you would have to be pretty well versed in
the issues and make some logical inferences in order to differentiate
between candidates. You could have made your choice based on neckties -
three had them, three didn't.

My thanks to those of you who have shown an interest in this election
through this medium. I remember some questions arising from the Danahys and
from Linda Pall and I have put off answering them until now. The League of
Women Voters forum next Thursday promises to follow the same format as the
Chamber of Commerce. It is grossly inadequate. Perhaps if enough of us ask
nicely (like they did when they stormed the Bastille) we could get that
changed. The three minutes for introduction is inadequate and the timed one
minute response to questions is ludicrous. I would prefer having a
moderator with a gavel and absolute authority who would allow someone to
speak until their point was clear. I miss Greg Brown - he could serve us
well in this capacity. If people don't want to stay to listen then they can
go home. I have to assume that those who come have an interest in hearing
what the candidates have to say. There are not more forums or more
opportunities - except, perhaps, this one. Let us discuss issues well into
the wee hours; we're tough enough for that. If we can't change things I'll
be there and do my best anyway but don't bet against me slipping an ice
cube into Mike Curley's boxer shorts. Otherwise you won't see any lines
drawn in the sand at this meeting, either - although I'm betting on six
neckties.

     The Danahys asked about the prospect of rising taxes and retaining or
creating a Moscow that is a safe harbor for teenagers. Good questions. I
pay taxes and I have two prospective teenagers.
     Yes, taxes will go up. Even if there is no increase in services, taxes
will go up. Retained employees receive wage increases. Materials and
supplies cost more. This year the city of Moscow will spend approximately
$1500 per resident. Although there is a lot of hocus pocus out there
concerning sources of and collection of revenues, as you know, it all
ultimately originates from the individual consumer-resident and trickles
up. That $1500 compares favorably to what most people will spend for food &
eating, for cars and transportation, for insurance, for housing and far
less than many will spend on recreation and entertainment. Next year the
city budget will nudge the $40 million mark ($2000 per resident) because of
the water-sewer infrastructure investments. In fact, about half of what the
city will spend next year is for supplying water to and removing sewage
from the residences and businesses. If we plan to search through the budget
for significant ways to save money we might hope that one of the candidates
identifies himself as a magician. I'm merely a wizard so I don't see much
room to give. In fact, I see the opposite. We underpay many employees,
especially in the public safety arena. Even our chief of police, Dan
Weaver, receives noticeably less compensation than other comparable
division heads in the city hierarchy. Long ago police work was treated as a
blue collar profession and in many places it has not escaped that stigma
and pays accordingly.

     Teenagers are subject to a lot of influences and I often question
whether it is better to let them see life as it is and trust them to make
good choices or shelter them in some ways and let them transition more
slowly toward our adult constructs. Relatively speaking, Moscow is a
shelter, so statistically our teenagers have a better chance to transition
without harm. I would work to prevent that from changing - we make our kids
grow up too fast anyway. A big concern about teenagers is drugs and I can't
fight that much no matter how lofty a council seat might seem. Our
economics and culture are significantly influenced by pharmaceutical
companies who, mostly in the name of profit, advertise the benefits of
chemical partnerships in every aspect of life. We might be able to defeat
them if every one of us reduces their influence by minimizing consumption
of their products and then laughing when we outlive all of their CEO's
anyway. And it is probably better in the long run to teach children,
beginning at a young age, that drugs are sometimes a necessary evil but not
that they are a solution. You should read this opinion three times a day
with a glass of water and if symptoms of paranoia don't begin to appear
within a week then read it some more but skip the water.

     Linda was curious about what our ideas are for handling development
issues and how we feel about the 1912 building. You can get an introduction
to my views on development in the answers to the V2020 questions to
candidates. But I might as well diverge into the topic of growth. For those
of you who are proponents of a 2 to 3 percent growth rate I'd guarantee
that if that was promoted and accomplished beginning in the 1960's or
earlier, you probably wouldn't by choice be living here now. By my
calculations Moscow has averaged a one percent growth rate over the last
fifty years, maybe slightly less. At some point sheer numbers matter more
than percentages and we may have reached that plateau. Maybe the average
population increase of 150 per year over the past half century in a good
benchmark. Assuming we covet any growth we should make sure we've decided
specifically where to put it.  Also, keep in mind that if our state and
region encourages growth that we will feel some of the effects even if we
slam the door locally; for instance, think of traffic on Hwys 8 and 95.
     The purchase of the city block containing the 1912 building was a good
buy. The $4 million conversion price tag is hefty and I'd say it was
ridiculous to even consider if not for the likely prospect that the money
will come privately. Fund raising has begun so don't be surprised when you
start hearing the "1912 overture". All that is left to debate really is the
cost of maintenance and operation. Yes, the city coffers will be used. By
my calculations for a building of this size, value and purposes we should
ante $40K per year to a cyclic maintenance fund and $60K to $80K more for
utilities, operations and routine maintenance. I think the city and its
residents will benefit by at least that amount - it comes out to fifty
cents per resident per month. Less if some of the costs are offset by
revenue gathering measures such as user fees. Maybe we can make that
payment voluntary. Those households that absolutely refuse to pay the 50
cents per head wouldn't have to do so and members must avert their gaze
when passing the building. Others would have to pay a little more and may
even be allowed to enter.

     Thanks again for your attention.  Questions or comments are welcome
here (even if anonymous!) or you can call me at 883-4918.

							- Evan Holmes

Back to TOC