Re: FW: Serial Cat Killer

Stan
I hate to have you say it.  Yes, maybe it is a young person.  But maybe it
isn't.  The point is not that we dismiss them as suspects, but that we not
target them without any sort of confirming information.  If it were during
school would we say it is likely a university student?  But if it only happened
on Saturdays would that make it more likely a younger person because they don't
have school on Saturdays?  Unless there is some information about which I am
unaware that more clearly suggests a young person, I am going to continue to
suggest that the post hoc, ergo propter hoc "reasoning" on this issue is just
as silly as my saying that since I started singing in the shower I have been
able to keep rogue elephants out of the city limits of Moscow.

Mike Curley

> From:          sec@moscow.com
> To:            vision2020@moscow.com
> Date:          Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:55:18 -0700
> Subject:       Re: FW: Serial Cat Killer

> Date forwarded: 	Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:42:40 -0700 (PDT)
> From:           	"Mike Curley" <curley@CYPHER.TURBONET.COM>
> To:             	"T&E" <cumming@idaho.tds.net>, vision2020@moscow.com
> Date sent:      	Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:39:56 +0000
> Subject:        	Re: FW: Serial Cat Killer
> Forwarded by:   	vision2020@moscow.com
>
> > Perhaps if we had some information from the police about the crimes we as
> > a community could watch for more specific behavior at more specific times
> > of day. If you have learned anything that would allow us to be more
> > informed observers, please pass it along.  Since it is summer, I would
> > expect the police dept to have more resources available to investigate the
> > mutilations (which is what the police can "do"--it's pretty unlikely that
> > the perpetrators will call first and say "come watch").  Perhaps more of
> > us need to be contacting the   Chief and letting him know we expect the
> > incidents to be investigated.  Perhaps that's already being done--it isn't
> > always in the best interests of catching someone to provide details of the
> > investigation.  so, Chief Weaver, if you're reading this, could you let us
> > know the department is taking these killings and mutilations seriously?
> >
> > Meantime, I hope we can resist the temptation to point out that the series
> > of events began when school was out.  I guess I'm offended by what I see
> > as the clear implication of the statement--that a student(s) is
> > responsible.  (Or, is the statement intended to suggest that a teacher,
> > administrator, or staff member may be involved--or a parent driven to the
> > brink because the children are at home?)  The atrocities also began in the
> > summer, after discussions of the Moscow-Pullman Corridor development
> > began, and shortly after Memorial Day, but there is no EVIDENCE to suggest
> > that any of the events are related to the mutilations.
>
> I hate to say it, but a young person IS the best candidate for crimes
> of this nature.during summer vacation, with more unsupervised time
> on there hands. if we want to have a better idea of what to look for
> we can't dismiss any category of suspects.
>
> Stan Evans

Back to TOC