loose dogs

I've asked PCEI about signs on both sides of the Carol Ryrie Brink
park which we love to walk through, stating the city ordinance
about loose dogs. He will discuss with the city. This followed my
note to him (see below):

One of our favorite places to finish our walk with our dog (always on
leash) is through the Carol Ryrie Brink park. There are times,
because of so many people who think the park means they
can walk their dogs off leash, that we have had to either take a huge
detour or turn around and come home another way. Ninety percent
of the time these people swear that their dogs are well trained off
leash, but we have never had an incident when the dog(s) did not
rush up to attack our dog. And they're always the great big dogs!
Against three, our dog would be helpless.

I think people need to be reminded that this park is inside city
limits. When the park has been completed and has signs, would it
be possible at each end of the path to put a sign reminding them of
this and the fact that dogs must be on leash (perhaps quote the
city ordinance)? It gets pretty scary sometimes, and I often think of
youngsters walking their dogs on leash and encountering the same
situation. It would be even more frightening to them, and if they got
in the middle of a dog fight somebody could be seriously hurt.

We really enjoy this park but are disappointed that so many people
don't obey the city ordinance. It makes it an unpleasant experience
for the rest of us.

By the way, at the suggestion of one of the officers at the Moscow
police department after too many incidents of attacks, we have
started carrying a child's plastic water gun (small) filled with half
water, half ammonia when we walk our dog. Keep that in a pocket
ready to squirt (plain water may also work). Unfortunately it's the
owners who need the training!

Joan Klingler
Moscow Idaho 83843
joank@moscow.com