Re: Legislature and schools

Casey,

First of all, I want to state that I am a gun owner, and that I believe
that our constitution allows a broad spectrum of Americans to keep and bear
arms.

That being said, the fact that we are a different nation (vs. Germany &
England) with a different history has, I believe, nothing to do with the
correlation in question (countries with more liberal gun ownership laws
tend to have higher rates of gun violence).  I have to call a spade a spade
on this one.

At 02:33 PM 3/23/99 -0800, Casey R. Green wrote:

>There
>are thefts of firearms every day from lawful, conscientious individuals
>who have taken every expected precaution against such theft.

In Germany, every expected precaution for securing a gun against theft
means storing guns in a gun safe.  The vast majority of gun owners there
use this precaution.  I know of very few Americans who do so.  I know U.S.
gun owners who leave guns in unlocked houses and autos while they are
away....  Since a huge number of guns used in hold-ups in the U.S. have
been stolen from "law-abiding citizens," it is obvious that most people are
not securing their guns against theft.

This also has reflection in accidental shootings of minors while playing
with guns, and in the use of firearms in teenage suicides.  I don't know of
a federal law that establishes a minimum requirement for the safe storage
of firearms and ammunition.  I don't think one exists for the average gun
owner.

Liberal gun laws in the U.S. can be a source of pride, but the other side
of the coin is extremely shameful, as noted in the above trends.

Just my two cents, or perhaps more ammunition for you....

Robert Hoffmann                      817 S. Adams
Alt-Escape Adventures                Moscow, ID  83843  USA
http://www.alt-escape.com            Phone: (208) 883-0642
	             Fax:   (208) 883-8545

Back to TOC