Re: Legislature and schools

Mr. Hoffmann,

    Are you considering that we are a different nation than Germany or
England?  Their cultures are vastly different than ours when it comes to
this issue.  Our nation was formed by forcibly standing up to England by
show of force and application of force.  The use of guns in that use of
force became an integral part of our society.  I cannot see how
comparing different nations that have different outlooks against
ourselves in this matter.  Do you also consider that our society is
capitalist in nature and that every entrepreneuring individual is out to
make a buck?  Nothing prevents an individual from selling his or her gun
to another person.  Nothing prevents a person of questionable morals
from stealing a gun or purchasing it by illicit means from that
entrepreneuring individual who does not care who they sell to.  There
are thefts of firearms everyday from lawful, conscientious individuals
who have taken every expected precaution against such theft.  Can you
tell me how gun control laws effect people who choose to operate above
or below such laws?  We cannot remain ignorant to this aspect of these
laws, gun control laws ONLY effect people who choose to abide by them.

    Please don't take me wrong, I am not an advocate of no regulation,
but I am an advocate for making a law that works in the given
situation.  As it stands, further regulation is not targeting the right
people.   Laws such as the one that Idaho recently adopted in regard to
domestic violence and the loss of the right to own guns is a great step
in the right direction.  That kind of law is excellent.  it attacks two
fronts.  First you have men and women both who are convicted for
domestic battery (a crime of violence) AND they loose the right to keep
a firearm.  This can take the firearm out of the hands of a potentially
violent person.  I realize that the same argument I have above
circumvents this law, but it is a law that I would whole hartedly
support over further gun control laws against lawful persons.

food for thought...

Casey R. Green

Back to TOC