Date:          Tue, 9 Mar 1999 23:58:28 -0800 (PST)
From:          Scott Dredge <sdredge@yahoo.com>
Subject:       Re: Bikinimania
To:            Vision 2020 <vision2020@moscow.com>

Annually, Idaho ranks at or very near the top of states with the
highest unwed teen pregnancy rate.  I find it odd that a simple bikini
contest can create such an uproar.  God forbid if the young women of
Moscow actually take enough pride in their figures to showcase them
rather than follow in the barefootsteps of so many of the past and
present unmarried/underaged baby factories.

-SD

---Lois Melina <lmelina@moscow.com> wrote:

> Whether the young women of Moscow walk down a catwalk in bikinis to be
> "judged" on their physical appearance is not trivial because it
speaks to
> the values we as parents and as community members want our young
people to
> have. I want the young women of Moscow, like young women everywhere,
> value themselves enough to want to be evaluated for a broad range of
> abilities. I want the young men of Moscow, like young men
everywhere, to
> look at women and see more than what immediately jumps out at them.
When we
> "measure" our young women I hope it is to see to what degree they have
> fulfilled their potential and given back to their communities; not
to see
> what their bra size is. When our young men look at our young women,
I hope