Re: Office Depot

Maybe, but I wonder about the roller rink in Lewiston. How does it survive?
Consider the discussion about so few activities for our children to do in
our community (aside from attending school).

If something like a rink couldn't survive here on capitalism alone, perhaps
it would be worth some investment of tax dollars to see such an endeavor
succeed.  It may be more effective in the antidrug campaign than some of
the mass PR stuff we see in our schools and on our billboards.

Plus, I bet there are thousands of local parents that would love to have
their kids DO something while they are shopping at the Mall.  Who knows, it
might just generate some profit for someone, too.

Tom

>     It is my recollection that the Ernst site was  not occupied because
>Ernst was in bankruptcy.  McCarthey Management, owners  of the mall,
>bought the building in order to see it occupied.  Thus it is  the mall
>that is responsible for getting Office Depot in the building.  In  a
>twisted business sort of way, it makes sense to put a similar business in
>the  mall as traffic will stop there rather than proceed farther out.  As
>for  the ice/bowling/rollerblade  rink in the building, we have had these
>types  of businesses before.  They do not survive because, unlike a city
>pool,  they are not supported by tax dollars.  They rely entirely on user
>fees to  operate.  The city pool, supported by everyone whether or not
>they use it,  is only operable because of tax support. John and Laurie
>Danahyjdanahy@turbonet.com

Back to TOC