Re: US Constitution and Mutating Ethics

Mr. Tom Hansen,

You said:
> The US Constitution was purposely worded generically so as to allow the future
> to interpret it the way that it should apply at the time.

This is not true. The wording of the US Constitution was very specific. It is the
law of the land. And in order to allow for changes that the future might bring
the founders created a method to allow for changes to the US Constitution. It is
called the "amendment process." You might have heard of it. The amendment process
is the "only" valid way in which the US Constitition can change according to the
will of the people. Laws should never be just reinterpreted to change their meaning.

To have the method as you describe of just interpreting the US Constitution any
way we want for any reasons we want will result in anarchy. And also, why even
have a written law if we can just ignore those parts that we find repugnant by
just reinterpreting them to mean what we want. In this case the US Constitution
isn't worth the paper it was written on. But I guess it all depends on what the
definition of the word "is" is.

Just remember, the founders knew that they couldn't foresee all that the future
would bring, therefore they built into the US Constitution a legal means make
appropriate changes, it is the "amendment process" - not reinterpretation.

Cheers!
John Harrell