High School

I step in to the debate on this issue with some trepidation.  I want to
start by pointing out that while John and I share both an e-mail account and
an interest in community issues, we write as individuals - two different
voices for the price of one.  These are my (Laurie's) two cents worth on the
prospect of building a new high school.

I don't believe the most important question is whether we should support an
old building/new building or a  "big box"/"small box" academic environment.
Until we have taken a long serious look at high school education in general,
we cannot begin to consider what type of structure will best support
learning in the 21st century.

I believe the walls that currently exist in our high school system serve as
both literal and figurative barriers between young people and society.  The
walls keep the world from looking in and the children from looking out.
Dedicated teachers, students, and community members can breach those
barriers, but their efforts go largely unsupported and often involve
personal sacrifice.  Burnt out educators, turned-off kids, and an "out of
sight, out of mind" public don't even make the attempt.

Meaningful interactions with and observations of  the real world provide a
purpose and passion for learning.  When these experiences are the exception
rather than the rule, too many students find themselves drifting through
their high school years, unchallenged, unexcited. and uninvolved.
Unfortunately, this "teen attitude" can become a permanent habit, and the
result is an apathetic, egocentric citizenry.

Without a critical examination of the learning needs, interests, and
challenges facing our children, I fear we will build not a true educational
institution, but merely another warehouse in which to store young people.

Laurie Danahy
jdanahy@turbonet.com

Back to TOC