Re: Schools for young people

You single out gang psychology, only one of the items I mentioned.
But there can be a "gang" of two or three, as at Columbine. You can
have an alienated kid or two who begin to stalk others. We need to
know how structure affects behavior.
My research references run back some years but the psychological
effects of  large structures has indeed been documented. I'll try to
find a couple references for you when I have time. I'm certain if you
called the right persons at the UI you'd get some data on it. I also
recall that, when one large high school in Michigan was
"de-agregated" into 3 separate units, lots of behavioral problems and
blockages to studious attitudes dissipated. The same thing happened
in Albuquerque a few years ago. Kids found better relationships, both
social and educational, in the new, smaller more familiar settings.
AT LEAST, we should FIRST look at the record to see what it reveals,
right? Thanks. Ken M.

Back to TOC