Re: High School

I like this viewpoint very much. It points to the significance of the
human group, which is the primary source for learning behaviors --
whether a classroom with walls or without. Once we lose sight of how
that group functions, for or against the knowledge, skills and
attitudes children need to succeed, then we have lost sight of the
meaning of education. My post on "bad" big structures was saying that
factors other than nurture, education have for too long decided how
kids are housed and organized for their education.

>I step in to the debate on this issue with some trepidation.  I want to
>start by pointing out that while John and I share both an e-mail account and
>an interest in community issues, we write as individuals - two different
>voices for the price of one.  These are my (Laurie's) two cents worth on the
>prospect of building a new high school.
>
>I don't believe the most important question is whether we should support an
>old building/new building or a  "big box"/"small box" academic environment.
>Until we have taken a long serious look at high school education in general,
>we cannot begin to consider what type of structure will best support
>learning in the 21st century.
>
>I believe the walls that currently exist in our high school system serve as
>both literal and figurative barriers between young people and society.  The
>walls keep the world from looking in and the children from looking out.
>Dedicated teachers, students, and community members can breach those
>barriers, but their efforts go largely unsupported and often involve
>personal sacrifice.  Burnt out educators, turned-off kids, and an "out of
>sight, out of mind" public don't even make the attempt.
>
>Meaningful interactions with and observations of  the real world provide a
>purpose and passion for learning.  When these experiences are the exception
>rather than the rule, too many students find themselves drifting through
>their high school years, unchallenged, unexcited. and uninvolved.
>Unfortunately, this "teen attitude" can become a permanent habit, and the
>result is an apathetic, egocentric citizenry.
>
>Without a critical examination of the learning needs, interests, and
>challenges facing our children, I fear we will build not a true educational
>institution, but merely another warehouse in which to store young people.
>
>Laurie Danahy
>jdanahy@turbonet.com

Back to TOC