Re: Overlays

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 18:45:09 -0800 (PST), you wrote:
>I'm amazed that the original complainer sent email about it.
>Why isn't he using smoke signals or pigeons or something?

yeah, I know we're just a bunch of hick Idahoan technophobes, living
because we don't instantly leap at whatever

>Maybe the people of the UK are just smarter than us.

Or maybe we just don't like dialing so much. Not all of us have
programmed our Palm Pilot to dial our friend via the cell phone at a
specific time of day; many of us have to manually enter the digits.

Also, the greater the number of digits in a phone number, the more
likely that the number will be either transcribed or dialed
incorrectly. (Why do you think 911 is only three digits long?)

If everyone in the country is dialing eleven digit numbers, regardless
of WHO they are trying to reach, then is the likelihood of getting a
wrong number at 3 am from some drunk in NYC that was trynig to call
his wife to explain why he isn't home yet also greater?!

This is not the kind of world i want to live in!

andy

Back to TOC