Paul Kimmell: County Commission vs. City Chamber?

Dear Visionaries:  Notwithstanding a number of legitimate questions
about this matter, inspired I am sure, by citizen zeal for good
government, open dealings, and full accountability, I wish to appeal
for a "cooling off" period on this, before any more rocks are thrown
by either "side". Let's step back and consider what may be termed
'salient factors':

	Integrity of the individual concerned
	Records of service, citizenship and performance
	The Chamber's rationale and considered decision (what is the
understand-
		ing that governs the relationships?), when he was hired
	The county Board's judgment and overview of each member's role (the
		issue of chair vs. regular voting member, etc.); discussion of
		potential conflicts and how they would be handled.
	Independent agencies' and citizens' views on dual participation in both
		private and public organizations; seek a kind of "independent"
		review made by a neutral observer -- surely we can trust others

Some fact-finding must be done before jumping to conclusions. For
example, where in statute is the commissioner's job stated as 3/4
time? Do all commissioners as a rule work that much? Need the C of C
job be fully 3/4 time, or is there opportunity for a different
arrangement?  How many times do CITY-related projects, contract
issues, and payment transactions come before the County government?
Surely, there are other issues as well. If indeed, after careful
review of these and perhaps other matters, it appears that a dual
role involves serious conflicts and incompatibilities, then only
should a political decision be made. I don't agree that raising these
questions is a matter of "whining", nor do I think that the issues
should be glossed over or put aside. Let's try to be fully fair and
straight forward so as not to harm individuals or civic agencies.
This does nothing for building community solidarity, trust and
goal-setting for all communities and the county at large.
Respectfully, Ken M.

Back to TOC