Re: School Vouchers (was: Re: Federal vs. State Law)

Apparently the school voucher issue isn't going
to go away anytime soon even though it was soundly
defeated on ballot measures in California and
Michigan.  I'm not sure what the argument is in
favor of school vouchers.  Once private schools
put their grubby mitts into public coffers they
open themselves up to a flurry lawsuits and
ultimately will no longer be able to operate as
private institutions.

Further, the argument that parents who are sending
their kids to private schools shouldn't be paying
tax dollars for public schools doesn't hold water
either.  What about non-parents, or anyone else for
that matter, who doesn't have kids in public schools.
Should their tax dollars be paying for public schools?
I believe that everyone should be paying for public
schools.  An educated populous is a good thing.

The only decent argument in favor of school vouchers
is too allow children of poor families to be able
to attend a private school that they wouldn't be able
to afford without the vouchers.  However, if that
were the goal, it wouldn't be on the agenda of the
Republicans.

-SD

-- Snip --