early warning signs

Dear Visionaries,
With the shooting of students at Columbine High School, there is a call for
increased awareness of the early warning signs of violence-prone youth.
This is v. appropriate as long as civil liberties are also protected.

The American people produce, sell, and accept as normal nearly all manner
of weaponry. As consumers and citizens, we demand that anti-personnel
weapons be made available. Then we act w/ shock and horror when one group
of irresponsible citizens uses these weapons against the innocents. I would
argue we adults are another group of irresponsible citizens. We structured
the laws and set the norms of the culture in a way that increases the
probability of these tragic shootings. For example, the Idaho State
legislature passed a bill this session to allow 18 year olds to keep
weapons in their cars while at school. It was vetoed by Gov. Kempthorne.
 Are the second-hand stores, the gun shows, the sporting goods departments
with their readily available anti-personnel weapons another early warning
sign of a violence-prone society? Perhaps we should ask sporting-goods sale
clerks if they own black trench coats. I do.
Steve Cooke

Back to TOC