Unalienable rights

Dear visionaries,

Here is the problem. The oath taken by those who serve in the military involves defending the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, whether foreign or domestic. We are certainly going to war in Iraq, and we are doing so in order to accomplish "regime change." This is a traditional war, in the old-fashioned sense of the word. Any attempt to do this without an express declaration of war on the part of Congress is therefore unconstitutional. Congress, and only Congress, declares war. It is not the prerogative of the commander-in-chief. It is not the prerogative of the United Nations. Congress declares war. The Constitution does permit the president to some sorts of limited military action without such a declaration (e.g. Barbary pirates, bin-Laden), but to overthrow the government of another sovereign nation without a declaration of war is constitutional impudence, plain and simple.

I happen to believe that a case for legitimate war against Saddam could be made. But we aren't making it. And the case we are making threatens our few remaining constitutional freedoms as much as anything Saddam is doing. The culprits? Who thrashed the Constitution? All the progressives who show up for the march should make a point of marching on themselves. They are the ones who have fought for, and achieved, an elastic Constitution. "It's a living document, you see . . ." Arms don't mean arms, speech doesn't mean speech, rights don't mean rights, and Congress doesn't mean Congress.

All is not lost, however. Some elements of the Constitution are still obeyed. We still have two senators from every state.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson

Back to TOC