RE: Community of Moscow

Title: RE: Community of Moscow
Tony,
    Your impression of what MER was saying to City Council during the presentation on Monday is mistaken.  We are not experienced public speakers, so perhaps we didn't explain ourselves clearly.
I am concerned that you came away thinking there was a "game of politics" going on.
    The legal challenge spoken of is what *will happen* if someone is actually cited according to the existing ordinance. It's so poorly written that it will end up being challenged in court and cost the city (read: me!) money and time that would be better spent elsewhere.  No one I know of is planning on willingly becoming the person to challenge it, even though several attorneys have expressed a willingness to take it on.  Our research indicated that similar language had been challenged in other areas in the last 10 years and has ended up costing those cities $80K plus to defend and lose.         .. I'd rather see that spent on *real* problems in my community.
   The negative publicity spoken of would be as a result of that inevitable law suit.
   You're right if you felt we were making an effort to tell them something they would care about.  Personally, these are my major concerns on this issue.  I love Moscow.
    Is the restorative justice you speak of putting the pieces back together after something like that happens, rather than trying to circumvent?
-Karri Fedale

YOU WROTE:
Mr. Hansen is correct in that restorative justice does come to moving away from us and them. However, the examples he gives are troubling in a couple of ways.  First, there are many working in restorative justice who do not want to see the healing nature of justice become law. Most communities were restorative justice is working have few, if any laws mandating this approach. However, at the request of one politician we were able to find an in depth look at the laws which now exist and the positive and negative impact.

Mr. Hansen mentions Muscovites for Equal Rights as an example of change.That they are working for change is clear and I tend to support their effort. However, Is there approach restorative and based on healing wounds of injustice? After listening to their presentation to the City Council I came away with the impression that we will do whatever it takes to get our way, including a legal challenge and hints of negative publicity,etc.... Truthfully this is playing the game of politics more than it is justice.

Restorative justice looks at the reality that law and justice are not synonmous terms. Evidence suggests that all people do not have the same access to the law. The healing nature of restorative justice is working to give all people access to justice. This is one of the most important points and it is one that is most are risk of being lost if justice is becomes a process of systematic games.

Tony