Re: End of watering season

     Several years ago, I planted several "fall show"  trees on a vacation acreage of my parents.  My folks being of the "old school" - (no such thing as too much water, fertilizer, spraying, etc.), these trees got the utmost of attention.  Each fall we were disappointed as the trees went directly from green to dull brown, often carrying the dead leaves through winter.  Last year I asked  Sue at the U of I plant science farm for advice.  I had barely spoken the words "plenty of water" when she realize the problem.  She explained that trees need to go through seasonal changes, such as spring (wet), summer (warm; growth), fall (DRY; colorful), then winter.  They even reduce the water for the tiny little seedlings each fall.
     Word of caution: I have heard from other experts that the root zone should be moist before permanent ground freezing.
      Point to all this?  Let's follow Dianne's advice.  Let fall be fall.  Save some of our limited water. Your plants might even be healthier next spring because of it.  Our trees are.    BC

Back to TOC