End of watering season

In his thoughtful editorial (August 20, 2002 -- Water scare should send a message in Moscow…), Murf Raquet urged the community to "give serious thought to the aquifers as well as our individual consumption of a very precious resource."

Many Moscow residents conscientiously conserved water during the breakdown of Well #9 during August. However, some have slipped back into old habits. Daily, lawn watering is still occurring on both private and public lawns though we have had several nights with temperatures below freezing. It appears that many wish to extend summer right up to the first snowfall. However, pouring all of this water onto the lawn will not change the fact that it’s autumn.

The bright, clear days, changing colors, and crisp nights are a signal for plants and critters to make winter preparations. As surrounding wheat fields are harvested, we should know that our lawns would naturally change to golden brown at the same time. This is the natural cycle of the seasons.

Due to the wonders of modern fertilization and irrigation, the growing season for lawn-owners has been greatly extended both seasonally and geographically. This extension comes at a price. Communities across the nation are facing water shortages. Locally, our water comes from underground aquifers that have been declining for decades. While we don’t yet have a shortage, our problem in August should have been a reminder that our water resources are not limitless. The community responded well to that short-term problem. Now, let’s work together on the long-term problem.

The first step is to declare Outdoor Watering Season 2002 finished and let our yards begin their seasonal transition.

Dianne French

202 E 7th Street, Moscow, ID  83843

208-883-3937

Back to TOC