Discussion/Iraq

Some visionaries may be interested in this statement by 33 international
relations professors from around the country, which appeared in the New York
Times (a list of signatories can be found here:

http://www.bear-left.com/archive/2002/0926oped.html

WAR WITH IRAQ IS NOT IN AMERICA'S NATIONAL INTEREST

As scholars of international security affairs, we recognize that war is
sometimes necessary to ensure our national security or other vital
interests. We also recognize that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and that Iraq
has defied a number of U.N. resolutions. But military force should be used
only when it advances U.S. national interests. War with Iraq does not meet
this standard.

Saddam Hussein is a murderous despot, but no one has provided credible
evidence that Iraq is cooperating with al Qaeda.

Even if Saddam Hussein acquired nuclear weapons, he could not use them
without suffering massive U.S. or Israeli retaliation.

The first Bush administration did not try to conquer Iraq in 1991 because it
understood that doing so could spread instability in the Middle East,
threatening U.S. interests. This remains a valid concern today.

The United States would win a war against Iraq, but Iraq has military
options-chemical and biological weapons, urban combat-that might impose
significant costs on the invading forces and neighboring states.

Even if we win easily, we have no plausible exit strategy. Iraq is a deeply
divided society that the United States would have to occupy and police for
many years to create a viable state.

Al Qaeda poses a greater threat to the U.S. than does Iraq. War with Iraq
will jeopardize the campaign against al Qaeda by diverting resources and
attention from that campaign and by increasing anti-Americanism around the
globe.

The United States should maintain vigilant containment of Iraq-using its own
assets and the resources of the United Nations-and be prepared to invade
Iraq if it threatens to attack America or its allies. That is not the case
today. We should concentrate instead on defeating al Qaeda.

Best,

Melynda Huskey
(who doesn't agree that war is sometimes necessary to ensure our national
security or other vital interests, but still found the argument an
interesting one.)

"The things that make us happy make us wise."  John Crowley

Unlimited Internet access -- and 2 months free!  Try MSN.