RE: DISCUSSION/Iraq and domestic protest

> Dale Courtney wrote:
> I think you mean to say that all arguments for an absolute
> authority  must ultimately appeal to that authority for
> proof: otherwise the  authority would not be an absolute or
> highest authority.
>
> My reply:
>
> No Dale.  I meant just what I said; all arguments are
> circular unless referenced to an ultimate authority.  But to
> cut through the semantics, I do not believe there is an
> ultimate authority.  That does not mean that my values and
> ethics are relative, however as they are complex it is
> possible to arrive at apparently contradictory positions on
> some issues.  In a reasoned debate, whether internal or with
> others, those contradictions can be resolved.
>
> Troy Merrill
>
> ps. got to leave there as I'm on the road for a couple weeks.

I'm sorry you are leaving since this would be way too much fun to
dissect!

1. All arguments are circular unless referenced to an ultimate
authority.
2. There is no ultimate authority.
3. My values and ethics are not relative.
4. Contradictions can be resolved.

You must have taken philosophy from a postmodernist! We just need a good
dash of Aristotelian logic! :)

Have a great trip.

Dale Courtney
Moscow, Idaho