Re: IRAQ/PAKISTANI ELECTIONS

Visionaires -

I tend to agree with Mr. Westberg.

In October of 1962, the Soviet Union was stockpiling nuclear missiles in Cuba
(90 miles from our shores).  President Kennedy developed a defense perimeter
around Cuba to prevent any further build-up of missiles.  Kennedy's actions
were looked at as strictly defensive in nature.  Kruschev and Kennedy were
virtually at opposite ends of a table, staring each other down, waiting for the
other guy to blink.  Ultimately, military action gave in to negotiation and the
SOviet Union withdrew the missiles.  We were virtually a nervous twitch away
from a nuclear holocaust.

I believe that President Bush can learn a serious lesson from our past.

Tom Hansen
Moscow