(Fwd) RE: Theol. Attack P S--Statistical analysis

Mr. Courtney:
The statistics you cite do not, of necessity or inexorable
logic, lead to the conclusion you posit.  Somewhere within
your statements and stats is the foundation of a syllogism
that would fall apart even upon rudimentary analysis. The
statements assume that all the "original" 100% (1990
students) of school district enrollees are still and town
and that some (mass) of them "fled" the public schools.
We know that's not the case because many have
graduated and because for those who do leave before
graduation the school district has to send their records to
the new school.  I don't have the statistic at hand, but the
district did present the evidence (this year) that the vast
majority of students (over about the past 5 years) who left
the district schools moved out of the city (and their new
district made an official request for the records).  Some
changed to charter schools--but they, too, are public
schools (we know who those students are because the
charters requested copies of their records).  Some smaller
percentage may have switched to home schooling (they
don't usually request the records so the district is less
certain), and a few switched to a religiously-affiliated or
(other)  private school.
Additionally, the mere addition of school-aged children to
the community does not necessarily mean that all (or
most) made a conscious choice between public and
private schools.
If I had just moved to Moscow my children would have
been placed in the public schools.  If you had just moved to
Moscow, it is apparent that your children would not be in
public school.  It would not be statistically accurate to
claim that you or your children were part of the mass
exodus (or failure of mass enrollment increase) you
proclaim. No doubt some Moscow students and families
have "left" the public schools over the past 10 years for a
non-public alternative.  And it may be, as some of your
Moscow public schools are deficient and not doing their
job.   Or not. My response here is simply to say that it will
require a more complete factual analysis of the statistics
you present before one can use them to support either
thesis.
Mike Curley

Back to TOC