RE: Opt out? (was re. personal thoughts)

Greetings Visionaires -

Doug Jones stated:

> Several folks have again raised this "pandora's box" reply concerning
> taxpaying, but it still misses the original point. For the new folks,
> the original objection against the levy was an appeal to the separation
> of religion and state. Funding public schools is a violation of that
> professed value. Public schools use taxes to teach a particular ideology
> on history, science, math, literature, politics, morality, etc. (in
> other words -- a religion -- a system of assumptions and norms about
> ultimate reality). No pandora's box results from not forcing people to
> fund other ideologies and worldviews. Why do public schools get to
> violate the separation of church and state, but no one else does?
> Answer: power politics, not a genuine devotion to the separation of
> church and state. The response to the original objection has been some
> variation on the denial that public schools teach a worldview: "They
> don't. They teach a . . . a . . . a . . . a . . . hey, wait, no, you're
> the evil ones." Which only proves the initial objection.

Pray tell, Mr. Jones, what specific religion is the government teaching in
public schools?

This is important to me as I am a grade-school graduate, junior high school
graduate, high school graduate, and college graduate of public schools.
Your concept of government schools suggests that I have been strongly (and
forcibly) indoctrinated into some sort of government "religion".  Please,
Mr. Jones, advise me so that I may attend the proper church.  If this
"religion" does not recognize a supreme being, should these schools be
permitted to recognize Christmas and Easter as holidays?

Patiently awaiting your expert guidance,

Tom Hansen
Moscow, Idaho

Work like you don't need the money.
Love like you've never been hurt.