RE: Opt out? (was re. personal thoughts)

Mr. Evans wrote:
"Remember, the original assertion was that only folks on the fringe do
not support public schools."

I'm sorry -- I'm confused.  Who made that assertion?  Are you referring
to what I wrote?
"As Mr. Moffett points out, there is an organized theologically-based
group within our community that advocates doing away with public
schools, among other things. . . As a community member, I have
appreciated the debates/discussions because they've helped me understand
a whole lot about a specific fringe element of our community and how
they'd like to change our community."

That's *not* the same as saying "only folks on the fringe do not support
public schools," and I'm sorry if what I wrote has been interpreted that
way.  I'm fairly certain there are individuals who aren't public
education supporters and who also are not associated with the local
group I was referring to.

About the whole opt out idea:  as others have pointed out, I could save
a whole lot of money  :-)  I'd like to opt out of everything I don't
support, including paying any taxes for anything that are higher than
they should be because of the tax exempt status of some (free riders).
Hmmm . . . seems to me there goes paying taxes for just about
everything.  Yep, I could save a whole lot of money  :-)

However, since I *enjoy* (well, generally speaking) the standard of
living we all benefit from as a result of taxes, free riders and all,
I'll keep paying my taxes and working to improve areas where I think
there's room for improvement.

Mr. Evans also wrote:
"This discussion could get very broad very quickly, so let's keep it to
the specific Moscow schools example."

When discussing opting out, I don't think it's reasonable to keep the
discussion about *only* what some would like to opt out of paying for.
In this instance, it's public education, but I surely know folks who
feel just as strongly that they should have been able to opt out of
paying for the new swimming pool, the 1912 building, the new fire house,
Alturas, and . . . the list goes on & on.  Why is the desire of some to
opt out of paying for public education any more important than the
desires of others to opt out of paying for other things?

IMHO, trying to limit the discussion *only* to opting out of funding
public education obscures the scope of problems created by those who
support "opt out" theories.

Saundra Lund
Moscow, Idaho

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to
do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Back to TOC